Community Hospital is committed to improving the overall health status of the communities we serve. Education is essential to personal health. We engage in and encourage the development of innovative community health strategies that benefit our constituents. Community Hospital encourages everyone to take advantage of these learning opportunities.
Please take this opportunity to review the many community and business offerings listed below. There are many classes and programs offered to our patients and the community. If you have any questions about the information within this section, please contact our Community Outreach Coordinator by email or by calling (308) 344-8550.
Here are a few of the community outreach programs that Community Hospital currently offers which were selected from our comprehensive community benefits report:
- Sterling Connection educational seminars: Sterling Connection is a group we offer in conjunction with BryanLGH Medical Center. The membership and classes are free to members who are 55 years and older.
- Public education seminars: Community Hospital offers seminars pertaining to health concerns and new services offered to our community. Some examples of seminars we have held in the past are a Lunch 'N' Learn for our local area women to learn more about digital mammography, a Dinner 'N' Learn for the general public to learn more about the new Balloon Sinuplasty procedure that is helping relieve chronic sinusitis sufferers.
- Health fairs: Community Hospital offers a wide variety of health fairs for our community. The larger fairs are our community health fair, offered in April, and our diabetic health fair, offered in September. We also offer a smaller health fair in Curtis as well as personal fairs at local businesses such as Southwest Public Power District and McCook National Bank. All of these fairs offer free health information as well as discounted blood screenings.
- FFA Safety Day & Family Fun Night: These two community programs promote safety for families and children. Community Hospital offers safety information as well as first aid kits, hand sanitizer and much more.
- FROG exercise classes: Fitness Reaching Older Generations was a program started by Southwest Nebraska Public Health Department and was offered through our 55PLUS program completely free of charge. We have FROG “schools” in McCook, Indianola, Stratton, Trenton, and Curtis.
- Support groups: Community Hospital donates meeting rooms and speakers for our various support groups. A few of them include our grief support group, diabetes support group, and Parkinson’s support group.
- New parent and family classes: These classes include childbirth education classes, breastfeeding classes, new infant car seat checks, big kids & babies classes.
- BryanLGH Screenings: Our relationship with BryanLGH Medical Center allows for us to invite their mobile screening units out to Community Hospital. These mobile units offer our community the opportunity to take part in tests not normally performed in our area.
- Colorectal screening kits: This campaign is in conjunction with St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center. Every two years we are able to offer our community a free colorectal cancer screening kit free of charge.
Community Hospital offers educational courses that are open to the public. These courses include:
- Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider (BLS/HCP)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment Recognition and Stabilization (PEARS)
- ECG and Pharmacology (ECG/Pharm)
For more information on these classes please click here to visit the Course Offerings page.
Other Area Providers & Services:
Frontier Home Medical
- In-home delivery, assembly and instruction for home medical supplies
- Service repair technicians
- Certified wheelchair specialists on staff
- Respiratory education
DaVita McCook Dialysis
- Hemodialysis in-center: hemodialysis is a treatment for end stage renal disease (ESRD), or kidney failure, in which blood is removed from the body, filtered through an artificial kidney and then cleaned blood is returned to the body.
- Peritoneal Dialysis: Peritoneal dialysis (PD) is a form of home dialysis that allows people who need dialysis more freedom with their schedules. Peritoneal dialysis (PD) is a treatment for kidney failure patients, which allows dialysis to occur inside the body by infusing fluid into the abdomen.
Heartland Counseling and Consulting Clinic
- Outpatient Substance Abuse & Mental Health, Community Support, Parent Education, Alcohol and Drug Education, Psychological Assessments, Substance Abuse Evaluations, Medication Management, Med Box Program.
- ARM in ARM (Aiding Recovering Moms): Gender specific substance abuse wraparound services for pregnant and/or parenting recovering women.
- Behavioral Health Disaster Response Coordination
Please refer to our event calendar for a schedule of our classes.