What is Radon?
Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Radon gas is inert, colorless and odorless. It is naturally in the atmosphere in trace amounts but outdoors it generally is not a health issue. Most radon exposures occur inside buildings after the radon gas becomes trapped from entering through cracks and other holes in the foundation. It can be controlled and managed with proven, cost effective techniques.
Radon is a serious health risk. Breathing radon over time increases your risk of lung cancer. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. It is estimated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that nearly 21,000 people die each year from radon related lung cancer. It can be reduced easily and cost effectively. Take action today and encourage those around you to do the same!
You should test your home's radon levels if:
- They have never been tested
- When buying or selling a home
- Before or after any renovations, especially after repairs to reduce radon levels
- Before making any lifestyle changes in the home that would cause someone to spend more time in the basement or lower level (converting basement into a bedroom)
Ways to test your home:
- Short term kits measure radon for 2- 90 days for quick results
- Long term kits measure radon in your home for over 90 days