Community Hospital is committed to improving the overall health status of the communities we serve. Education is essential to personal health. We engage in and encourage the development of innovative community health strategies that benefit our constituents. Community Hospital encourages everyone to take advantage of these learning opportunities.
Please take this opportunity to review the many community and business offerings listed below. There are many classes and programs offered to our patients and the community. If you have any questions about the information within this section, please contact our Community Outreach Coordinator at 308 344-8550.
Here are a few of the community outreach programs that Community Hospital currently offers which were selected from our comprehensive community benefits report:
- Sterling Connection educational seminars: Sterling Connection is a group we offer in conjunction with Bryan Health. The membership and classes are free to members who are 50 years and older.
- Public education seminars: Community Hospital offers seminars pertaining to health concerns and new services offered to our community. Some examples of seminars we have held in the past are a Lunch 'N' Learn for our local area women to learn more about digital mammography, and a Dinner 'N' Learn for the general public to learn more about the new Balloon Sinuplasty procedure that is helping relieve chronic sinusitis sufferers.
- Health fairs: Community Hospital offers a wide variety of health fairs for our community. The larger fairs are our community health fair, offered in April, and our diabetic health fair, offered in the fall. We also offer smaller health fairs in Curtis and Trenton as well as personal fairs at local businesses such as Southwest Public Power District and McCook National Bank. All of these fairs offer free health information as well as discounted blood screenings.
- FROG exercise classes: Fitness Reaching Older Generations was a program started by Southwest Nebraska Public Health Department and was offered through our Sterling Connection program completely free of charge. We offer FROG “schools” in McCook and several area communities.
- Support groups: Community Hospital donates meeting rooms and speakers for our various support groups such as diabetes, cancer, grief and Parkinson’s support groups.
- New parent and family classes: These classes include childbirth education classes, new infant car seat checks, big kids & babies classes.
Please refer to our event calendar for a schedule of our classes.
Life Support Education Course Offerings: (Open to the public)
- Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider (BLS/HCP)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment Recognition and Stabilization (PEARS)
- ECG and Pharmacology (ECG/Pharm)
- Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC)
- Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course (ENPC)
For more information on these classes please click here to visit the Life Support Education Course Offerings pages.