At Community Hospital, our pharmacy department plays a crucial role in patient care. Our pharmacists work closely with your healthcare team, collaborating closely with patients, physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to ensure optimal drug therapy. They watch closely over every step of your medication therapy to enhance effectiveness, conducting vital quality checks to identify and prevent harmful drug interactions, reactions, and potential errors.
Department staff consists of four pharmacists and three pharmacy technicians.Operating hours are Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 6:00 pm, and typically 8am - noon on holidays and weekends. Additionally, off-hour coverage is provided by remote pharmacists when a pharmacist is not in-house to ensure 24/7 pharmacy services for patients and staff.
Pharmacy staff is involved in the care of patients on the inpatient floor, the emergency department and in surgery to ensure all medication orders are safe and appropriate. They also work closely with the antimicrobial stewardship team at UNMC with daily calls to review all antibiotic therapy. This ensures patients are receiving optimal antimicrobial therapy while also preserving antibiotic use in the future.
Special training includes:
- Two pharmacists are Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialists
- All pharmacists are certified in antimicrobial stewardship
- One pharmacist is certified in opioid stewardship
- One pharmacist is certified in anticoagulation management
Special services includes:
- Established collaborative practice agreements with some providers allowing the department to manage Coumadin dosing if desired by the providers.
- Providing pharmacokinetic dosing for high-risk antibiotics.
- Providing some limited parenteral nutrition services.
If you have any questions about your medications during your hospital stay, please feel free to contact the pharmacy department at 308-344-8258. Our pharmacists are dedicated to addressing any questions or concerns you may have.